You should know, right up front, that I am pretty new to blogging (just slightly over one year in fact) which makes me a baby (ok, maybe a toddler) in the blogging world. But I am okay with this (gotta love being this young in some aspect of my life!).
You should also know that I have a tendency to jump into things and then, after I have messed up or made a wrong turn, I finally consult the “directions”. That is certainly the case with amywatsonsmith.com.
As a result of these two things, this blog is a work in progress to say the least. When I learn something new, I usually apply it immediately. As I more completely determine my focus, I expect my posts to reflect these changes. And as for the “look” of amywatsonsmith.com? Let’s just say that I am one of those people who move furniture around. . . a lot.
I don’t want you to think that I am “flying by the seat of my pants” . . . well, ok, maybe just a little. I actually think and study and talk about what I am doing on amywatsonsmith.com all of the time (much to my family’s chagrin). I spend many hours researching and planning and writing.
The thing is that I am a process person. I am creative and the process of creating and learning is the point of it all for me. The final product is rarely what it is all about.
So given all of these caveats, what can you expect from following amywatsonsmith.com?
- Good writing (hopefully). This is first and foremost the reason I started this blog.
- Honest commentary and observations about me and my life. I do not believe in white-washing who I am or how I do things. As I used to say to my Girl Scout troop, “You get what you get, so don’t through a fit.”
- I do, however, have to be sensitive to the privacy of the people in my life–especially my teenage daughter. I share what I can about being the mama of a teenage girl from the mama’s perspective but try to be respectful at the same time (she and some of her friends actually read my posts!).
- Lots of photographs. It will be quite obvious to you that I am not a professional photographer but I do love shooting photos and believe that they can really add value and interest to the written word. In fact many times my photos feed my content.
- Back to content. When I am working on a project (a special event, volunteer activity, ministry event, domestic issue, family vacation, etc.), I tend to share what I am learning along the way and/or after-the-fact. My hope is that what I have learned will help someone else or at least get a discussion started.
- More on photographs. Many of my photos are taken in my home. Just know that I do everything I can to crop out the pile of stuff on the table just beside my display. Occasionally you will see “behind the scenes.” When you do you will understand why this is not a blog about organization or living simply. Enough said. You have been warned.
- Posts about southern things and southern people. I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world (Charleston, SC) and I grew up in Mississippi. While I have lived in other areas of the country, I am, in my very deepest parts, a southerner through and through.
- I love to share my favorite things with friends. You are now in the loop.
- I believe in the grace and salvation of Jesus Christ and this is reflected throughout amywatsonsmith.com. That being said I am not writing just for Christians. Whoever you are and wherever you are on your own spiritual journey, I hope that you will find something that blesses you here.
Thanking you for taking the time to read my blog and for hanging out with me for a bit!
God’s peace and blessings to you!